Acne to Clear Glowing Skin
When a person is uncomfortable with their teeth, they tend to cover their mouth or smile with their mouth closed. When someone doesn't like their hair, they weave, braid, or toss on a wig. What about when your face is covered in zits, pustules, redness? Well you can't where a veil and make up sometimes make things worse. I'm not sure of many things that eat a way a person's confidence like having a unhealthy or acne filled skin. I've been there...
"What do you use on your skin?" is a question I often get from people who have known me for years. I'm sure it is not because I have perfect skin, but because they remember those years (90s and early 2000s) when I struggled with really bad acne. You can see the difference in my skin in the photo collage to the left. I have very few pictures of those times mainly because it was before the age of camera phones and also because the disposable camera's we used back then didn't capture my skin condition very well.
My journey with acne began somewhere around age 8 or 9 and lasted all the way until my beginning years of college. As a teen and preteen, I tried almost every type of medicine, from the very popular, Proactive, to drugstore and dermatologist prescribed products. Some products wouldn't work at all; others would work for a while then the acne would come right back.
It wasn't until my early college years that my skin began to take a shift in the right direction. My journey through college was more than a journey of education, but also represented my path to Jesus and also where I began eating a healthier diet. Nowadays, my skin is still acne prone, but I have figured out what works best for my skin both externally and internally as well. Unknowingly, my approach to skin care has definitely been an 'inside out' approach.
- This is where my path to Jesus played a huge roll. I have noticed that as I began my relationship with Jesus, my skin has definitely developed more of glow. I believe this glow is one that you can't get from illuminating make up or highlighter. It radiates from within. I believe it comes from God's spirit on the inside of me, and every benefit that comes from His Spirit, joy, peace, love and so much more.
- Secondly, healthy eating has helped to keep my skin healthy from the inside. Including foods like, cucumber, avocado, nuts and seeds, berries, and leafy greens in my diet gives my skin lots of life. (sidebar: I've noticed when I have lots of sugar and caffeine my skin looks tired and is more likely to breakout)
- Also, last but definitely not least, drinking lots of WATER helps by flushing out toxins and waste from my body.
This is where my skincare routine comes in and if I were to be completely honest, it wasn't until this year that I have developed a consistent regimen. I have combination skin (oily and dry). Depending on your skin type my routine may not be exactly the same for you; but hopefully it inspires you to develop a consistent routine.
- Cleanse: I always cleanse my skin, morning and night. I have been using the same face cleanser, Aveeno positive radiant for years and it's been working for me. I tend to get some scarring or dark marks from acne (not because I pop pimples). This cleaner has help to lift those dark marks and even my skin complexion over time.
- Toner: Toner helps to remove dirt, make up and helps to restore pH balance to your skin. I have tried a few different toners, but the one I am loving right now is rose water. You can purchase online or any health food store like Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc.
- I use a moisturizer after toning. I have tried many different moisturizers, all of which left my oily skin looking even more oily. I have finally found one that has been working, Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream. From the moment I began using it, I felt a difference in my skin and it doesn't leave it oily.
- Sunscreen: I have always been nervous about adding sunscreen to my skincare routine, but more recently, I took a leap of faith in adding Clinique's Pep Start to help protect my skin from the sun and I have no complaints thus far.
This pretty is much my daytime routine before adding primer and make up. At night, I uses make up wipes to remove make up, and cleanse with my hands or clarisonic (i love my clarisonic).
There is one other thing that I do that, I'm not sure if I want to recommend because I have heard mix reviews about doing this; but once a week I use an exfoliating sponge to gently exfoliate my skin with my Aveeno cleanser. Some people say, you should exfoliate with your hands, but I have been using these sponges for years to deep clean and minimize pores and it has really impacted the overall look of my skin. I am not recommending, just putting it out there. After exfoliating, I use a dab of Apple cider Vinegar and 2 dabs water (always 2:1) on a cotton pad as a toner (always tone after exfoliating). I usually do this at night (every Thursday) and I wake up with a glow every time.
Well, that's my Inside Out approach. Hope it helps and inspires you to tend to your skin. Have a skin care story? Whether it's similar to mine, filled with years of acne or maybe you've had perfect all your life, I want to hear about it. Share in the comments section below...