Black Bean & Kale Soup Recipe
Since the launch of the Cultivating Kerri website, I have been tossing around a particular question in my mind. Am I going to post recipes on my blog? Someone posed this question at my launch party and I said, it wasn’t something I intended to do, but I’d give it some thought. I’m sure to others, this may seem like no big deal, but for me it’s somewhat of a complicated question. Here are two reasons why: First, I don’t want to place too much focus on making food look fancy for photos. I understand the importance of good food presentation. Pretty much, if you want people to eat it, you have to make it look good. I get that. I love food! I love trying different types of foods and mixing things up to make something great. However, what I have realized about myself is that I love to cook good food because I love to eat good food, not necessarily because I want it to look pretty. I’m kind of indifferent about that. I also, like to keep things simple and affordable. Often times, when I see photos of food, I think they look great, but they look to fancy to make. If I’m gonna present healthy food options, I don’t want people to just drool over the pictures, I want them incorporate them into their diets. I want to present food recipes that are achievable. The second reason is, I don’t want to be confused with a food blogger instead of a wellness blogger. My focus is total health, mind, body, and spirit and I just want to be sure my audience understands that nutrition and fitness is only a small portion of what Cultivating Kerri is about. Nevertheless, here I am writing this blog so I’m sure you’re wondering what have I decided to do.
After giving it much thought, I have decided to post recipes! As I share different photos on social media, I notice that many Cultivating Kerri supporters and readers are asking for my recipes. And because my goal is to help people include healthy options in their diets, equipping them to do so is going to be very important. People already have the desire to live well and are now looking for the “how to’s.” Therefore, I will post helpful, but simple, affordable, and achievable recipes while continuing to establish myself as a wellness lifestyle blogger. This means that I will also post recipes for success in other areas of life outside of the physical body. So here goes….
To make Black Bean & Kale soup, you’ll need:
- 2 cups of black beans
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups of Kale washed, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped (very small) carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped (very small) celery
- 1/4 cup brown rice (optional)
- 2 cups of water
- seasonings and herbs of your choice
- Soak beans over night or for about 6hrs.
- In a large pot or slow cooker, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté for about 2 mins.
- Add beans and seasonings. Stir until everything is mixed and beans are coated with oil and seasoning.
- Add 2 cups broth, water, and brown rice. Stir again. Raise the heat to high and cover. Allow to simmer.
- Stir your beans periodically, adding more water, if needed. As the soup begins to thicken, add kale and reduce heat. Allow to continue to simmer until beans are soft and tender.
Overall cooking time should be about 3-4 hours. May take longer in slow cooker. After beans are done, enjoy with a side salad or warm roll!