Why is Apple Cider Vinegar A Wellness Must Have?
If there is one very helpful “must have” ingredient for your wellness lifestyle, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) would be it! Why? It has multiple benefits and can be used for just about anything. Here are 8 healthy benefits to using apple cider vinegar:
1. Treat Your Tresses: ACV helps to prevent itchy scalp and dandruff (the acidity of ACV makes it harder for yeast to form), improves hair porosity (ability to absorb moisture), and serves as a clarifying agent (preventing product build up on the scalp without totally stripping your hair of its natural oils). On wash days, I combine 1 part ACV to 2 parts water, pour it on my scalp, rinse, and shampoo.
2. Give Your Skin A Glow: ACV can serve as a face toner. Facial toners help to shrink pores, provide skin with pH balance, minimize dark spots, and remove excess oil and dirt which often leads to clogged pours and acne. Although I don’t use it everyday, ACV has been my secret weapon in this department for years, giving my skin a glow I haven’t been able to attain from other toners.
3. Include With Your Food: I’m sure many are aware of this, but ACV (plus a little olive oil) can be used as salad dressing, included in marinades, juices, smoothies, and in baking. ACV contains acetic acid which helps to balance the bodies pH levels and reduce the risk of Chronic diseases. It also helps baked goods to rise.
4. Lower Your Blood Sugar: Studies have shown that ACV helps to increase insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels after meal. As always, discuss with your physician before increase intake of ACV.
5. Manage Your Weight: It doesn’t magically make you lose weight; however, when combined with other healthy lifestyle practices, ACV can aid in weight loss. It helps to lower sugar cravings and help you feel full longer.
6. Keep Things Moving: The acetic acid make up of ACV gives it both antibiotic and probiotic benefits, getting rid of bad bacteria while fostering good bacteria. This can help to settle the stomach, relieve indigestion, and keep “things” moving through your system. As always, consult with your physician before intake, as adverse reactions could result when ACV is mixed with medications or other health conditions.
7. Show Your Heart Some Love: Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S (esp. amongst women). Having high cholesterol or fat in your blood increases the risk of developing heart disease. ACV contains pectin which is a type of soluble fiber that helps to lower cholesterol levels.
8. Clean Your Stuff: The antibacterial nature of ACV (due to acetic acid) makes it a great DIY and toxin-free household cleaner. I use it to clean my fruits, veggies, make up brushes, but it can also be used on your countertops and other places around the house.
Want to add ACV to your lifestyle? I suggest using an organic raw unfiltered brand with the mother still in it. The "mother" is said to contain the proteins, enzymes and good bacteria which will contribute to the 8 benefits I discussed. When using ACV always DILUTE with water. No matter how I use it, I combine 1 part ACV to every 2 parts water and I never use more that 1 or 2 tablespoons of ACV. Never over consume and always discuss with your physician or health provider. Hope this information inspires you to research and possibly include ACV in your wellness lifestyle. Enjoy!