"Vegan Fried Chicken," Say What?
Well that's an oxymoron! While there is no such thing as Vegan "Fried Chicken", this twice battered fried cauliflower sure will get you as close to it as possible. I have been wanting give vegan "fried chicken" a go for a while, but I was honestly just being too cheap to do so. I would just skip over cauliflower in the supermarket because it was too expensive for savvy shopper, budgetnista wallet. Until recently, I found it on sale for $1.99 at Aldi.
I was torn between making either cauliflower bread or fried cauliflower. Until one day I was scrolling through my IG stories and was inspired to make fried cauliflower which is usually a substitute for fried chicken for non meat eaters. While I am not vegan, I do enjoy making vegetable rich meals. I love veggies!!! I just naturally, enjoy eating them. So here is my take on vegan fried chicken:
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- oil for frying
- 1 cup whole wheat or all purpose flower ( i prefer wheat flour)
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- almond milk
- 1 tbs. corn Starch
- Wash and cut cauliflower into medium size pieces. Removing leaves, but careful not to cut entire stem. You want it to look like a chicken drumstick.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium sized bowl
- Mix cornstarch and almond milk in another medium bowl
- Dip cauliflower into wet ingredients and then dip in cauliflower into dry ingredients. Coating entire piece of cauliflower
- Dip cauliflower into wet ingredients again and back into dry ingredients.
- Oil should be hot...add double coated cauliflower to frying pan
- Fry (and turn over when necessary) until both sides are golden
Time: 30 min (depend on how many pieces of cauliflower you making)
Please like, comment, or share this blog post if you decide to try the recipe!